THE FEMALE QUIXOTE HOMELESS DIARY
travelling all the way down to you.

2009年12月8日

Escape from Oneself










By C.P.Cavafy
Translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard
source from The City



You said:I’ll go to another country, go to another shore, find another city better than this one. Whatever I try to do is fated to turn out wrong and my heart lies buried like something dead. How long can I let my mind moulder in this place? Wherever I turn, wherever I look, I see the black ruins of my life, here, where I’ve spent so many years, wasted them, destroyed them totally.


You won’t find a new country, won’t find another shore.
This city will always pursue you.
You’ll walk the same streets, grow old in the same neighborhoods, turn gray in these same houses. You’ll always end up in this city. Don’t hope for things elsewhere: there’s no ship for you, there’s no road. Now that you’ve wasted your life here, in this small corner, you’ve destroyed it everywhere in the world.


中文翻譯:Gill


你說:「我將會去遠方,去其它海岸,找一個更美好的城市。就算我再怎麼努力,結果總是註定失敗,而我的心被沮喪掩埋就像在躺在墳地裡。我怎麼可以繼續待在這裡腐爛呢?無論從哪個角度看了再看,我的人生盡是一片殘垣斷壁,這裡,就是讓我浪費了許多歲月,然後再害我完全毀滅的地方。


你將不會到達遠方,也不會找到另一個海岸。這個城市永遠都會追趕著你。你將會在這一條街上跟著鄰居們一起老去,在這棟房子裡斑白頭髮。你會在這個城市結束一生,不論你願不願意。別指望有其它出路,沒有任何的船為你而開,沒有其它的路可以走。現在你在這裡浪費人生,不論你去到哪裡,你也會在某個小街角毀它。



Share on Facebook

沒有留言:

張貼留言

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...